Saturday, November 23, 2013

Kenyatta Stadium; The Ten Million Shilling Question



Ever since Dr. Alfred Mutua burst into the limelight, I have associated him more with TV series Cobra Squad than his other titles. Until he became Governor of Machakos and I expected the usual jabbering in a high pitch voice. He decided to prove critics wrong.

I happened to be in Machakos twice in the last week. The moment I got to Mlolongo, I was greeted with signposts of a new Machakos. When I turned off Mombasa Road into the Machakos Road, you are struck with a new lease of fresh air. Even the heavens have been good to send rain in Machakos, the hills are green.



The moment I was done with my business, I asked for directions to Kenyatta Stadium. Word had it that the county Government had done some good work in preparation for CECAFA Senior Challenge Cup set to begin on 28th November 2013.

 I had to sweet talk my way through security guards. The guards wore this- I am proud to be here demeanour than a harassing one. I had to prove I am a blogger, the new title in town. I stepped into a bee hive, nobody even bothered to notice an intruder walking around the truck.

Is what I was seeing work worth TEN MILLION Kenyan shillings?  The grass on the pitch was green and well trimmed. The stands were in different stages of construction and completion. The complete parts were painted blue while the other parts had the grey tint of welded mild steel.



Women were selling foodstuff the workers. A supervisor could be heard giving instructions to someone on the other side. As I walked past the main stand, I caught a glimpse of the tunnel still under construction. Behind the main stand, two ablution blocks are being constructed on far right and left. The kind of concentration and speed that the workers are going about their business tells you that, it is not Business as Usual.

 I passed and walked past a group of people preparing to mark the grounds. Meanwhile, a roller is at work making sure the playing surface is indeed flat. The grass is green and healthy, testimony of work done in the scorching semi arid heat of Machakos.

I walk out and get back in through the gate behind the main stand. The process of talking the guards into letting down their guards is repeated. I go in and enter into some rooms that are almost complete. The floor and walls have been tiled to the ceiling. I asked a technician doing the wiring if these are the players changing rooms. He fumbles then tells me his work is to install the electricity system, he is too busy and I walk out and move on.



I see a man my height about twenty metres away. He has a walkie-talkie so I assume he is a supervisor. I go to him and ask where the changing rooms are. He directs me back to the room I have just left, and the next block a few metres away. I decide to check the next one. Wow, I am blown away, I walk straight into the wash rooms at the far end and the finishing is top notch. The floor has dark grey tiles, while the walls are draped in cream ones. There are black strips running from the ceiling downwards in several places making the room look bigger than it really is. The light bulbs are designer and the toilet seats are just superb. Players will definitely prefer Machakos stadium facilities to Nyayo or Kasarani stadiums.



I walk back and scan the tunnel under the imposing main stand. I look around and see the terraces surrounding the eastern part of the stadium and decide my eyes have seen enough. One week is a short time, but If these beehive can bring out the honey. I must go to Machakos’ Kenyatta Stadium to see for myself.

That is when I will ask the TEN MILLION SHILLING question?


I have always known that money is never the problem in Kenyan football, lack of vision and the determination to get it done is the problem. IT CAN BE DONE, Dr. Alfred Mutua has shown us the way, Kisumu and Kakamega County Governments, there is no need of re-inventing the wheel.

Copyright - Stuttustics Media

No comments:

Post a Comment